In today’s world and daily routine, people are focusing on plant-based alternatives as healthier options to go for as we all are entangled in crazy eating habits and unbalanced lifestyles. And apart from the regular milk that we all like, oats milk is a good choice for people with allergies and intolerances. It’s free from lactose, nuts, soy and gluten if made from gluten-free oats. It’s good for bone and heart health.
What is Oat Milk?
People looking for a vegan dietary substitute can consider Oat milk. Stating simply it is made from a mixture of oats and water. The preparation is done by soaking and blending steel-cut or rolled oats with water, later straining them through cheesecloth separating milk from the oats. Manufacturers add some extra ingredients like gums, oils and salt to give it a more desirable taste and texture. Oat milk has the same number of calories as cow’s milk, double the number of carbohydrates, about half the amount of proteins and fats.
Oat milk isn’t as nutritious whole oats. Oats milk is free of many of the allergens found in other types of milk. It also contains beta-glucans, a soluble fibre that is good for heart health benefits. It is an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals and also fibre. Commercial oat milk is fortified with vitamins A, D, B2 and B12 as well as other minerals like calcium. In comparison to other types of milk, oat milk has more calories, carbs, fibres than almonds, soy, cow’s milk. After almond, soy milk, oat milk is the latest trendy, plant-based milk to take over the supermarket shelves, cafes, coffee shops.
Health Benefits Of Oats Milk
There are a number of reasons which makes Oats the most essential food to be included in the diet. It is a 100% whole grain filled with fibre, plant-based protein, vitamins, and minerals including iron, calcium and magnesium. It also gives the body prebiotics which fuels your body and also probiotics which help these friendly bacteria survive and thrive. Eating foods having beta-glucan also improves immunity and great health.
Here Are A Few Benefits Of Oats Milk:
1. Oats milk is good for people with dietary restrictions. It’s free of lactose.
2. Great source of vitamin B-Oat milk has riboflavin or vitamin B2 and vitamin B12. These vitamins help you elevate mood, combat oxidative stress, promote healthy hair, nails and skin.
3. Great for bone health-Oat milk is fortified with calcium and vitamin D which is good for bones. We know that calcium is the main mineral for healthy and strong bones. Adequate vitamin D is equally important as it helps in the absorption of calcium from your digestive tract.
4. It prevents anaemia-Because of taking a vegan diet a person is prone to the risk of getting anaemic because most plant-based foods lack certain micronutrients to prevent this condition. Anaemia is a serious illness that develops due to a lack of red blood cells. It can be cured by taking foods rich in the mineral, iron.
5. It boosts immunity-As this milk has a high vitamin composition it helps to strengthen the immune system.
Oat milk also has some disadvantages or downsides. Some varieties of commercial oats milk contains high amount of sugar if they are sweetened or flavoured. So the best buy would be that of unsweetened variety. Some commercial oat milk products are not certified to be gluten-free which may cause digestive problems for people with celiac disease. The gluten-free variety is safe for babies and children may not be a suitable alternative for breast or cow’s milk as it lacks nutrients needed for optimal growth. It’s more expensive than cow’s milk.
How To Make Your Own Oat Milk?
If you make your own oat milk it allows you to choose your own ingredients and avoid additives or thickeners found generally in commercialised products. To make oat milk blend 1 cup (81gms) of rolled or steel-cut oats with 3 cups of water. Pour the mixture over the cheesecloth to separate the oat milk from the oats. When prepared, store it in a glass bottle in your refrigerator for up to 5 days. To enhance the flavour try adding ¼ tsp of salt, a tsp of vanilla or cinnamon extract, some dates, maple syrup or honey.
Don’t Miss This Post On
Is Oat Milk Better Than Almond Milk?
Whether or not oat milk is better than almond milk depends on factors like—
1. Are you choosing an unsweetened version of both? -For both the oat and almond milk varieties, we should look for those that say ‘unsweetened’ on the front of the package and check the nutrition fact labels to ensure there is 0 gm. of added sugar.
2. How much of it are you drinking?-If you love the taste of oat milk then pour an unsweetened version in coffee, tea, cereal or homemade smoothies.
The Bottom Line
Oat milk is a lactose-free, vegan alternative to cow and goat milk. It is high in protein and low in fats has a lot of calcium and vitamin D. It’s gluten-free and allergen-free. It has lots of fibres too. It’s a very healthy option if you are pursuing weight loss goals. It improves appetite control. It’s good for people concerned about the presence of genetically modified organisms (GMOs). It’s pretty tasty, healthy to the core and you can really look up to it as the best vegan alternative to dairy products. It delivers its promises totally.
Do you include Oats in your diet? Share some interesting recipes with us which you have discovered in your journey in making your health a priority.
If you like this post, please support it by sharing it on social media platforms. Please like our FaceBook Page.
I am learning how to make my blog profitable. Want to grow your blog? Do check out and join in – How to Grow your Blog Challenge
I am growing my blog with @prettymummasays @sharingourexperiences @bloggingmadeeasier in #Growyourblogchallenge