Wheezing is a coarse, whistling sound a person makes during the process of breathing, either inhalation or exhalation. It is high-pitched in nature. It is a prominent symptom of asthma and though can be controlled by certain medications and home remedies, should be brought to advanced medical intervention if it tries to take an an ugly shape or become life-threatening.
CAUSES OF WHEEZING
A whistling sound starts when air moves through narrow airways just like a whistle or flute produces music. The causes of wheezing are these health issues:-
- Asthma––In this health problem the air passageways become narrow, swell, and produce extra mucus which makes breathing difficult.
- Allergic reactions––If one is allergic to pollen, chemicals, dust, certain foods, it can lead to wheezing.
- Acute Bronchitis and COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)––This health issue may generate extra mucus in the respiratory tract leading to blockage of lung’s passageways.
- Cystic Fibrosis––It is a disease that damages the lungs making the mucus thicker and extra sticky.
- Obstructed Airway—If the airway gets obstructed by a foreign body, it can lead to the problem of wheezing.
- Tumor––If the lung has a tumor, then also one can experience wheezing.
- Congestive heart failure—This condition can also lead to wheezing.
- Pneumonia—It is an infection inflaming the air sacs of lungs which gets filled with fluid or pus.
- Bronchiolitis-–It is a lung infection that inflames airways and leads to congestion affecting children generally.
- Emphysema––It is a lung condition that leads to shortness of breath.
- Smoking-–-Smoking cigarettes or being in an area surrounded by smoke can lead to wheezing.
Also Read My Post On
12. Respiratory Syncytial virus—It is a virus that causes bronchiolitis, a lung infection that causes inflammation of airways and can lead to pneumonia.
13. Bronchospasm—Tightening of muscles around the bronchial tube.
14. Hypersensitivity– A reaction to certain triggers like allergens, irritants, infections can also cause wheezing.
15. Anaphylaxis-–It is a kind of severe allergic reaction which leads to wheezing.
SYMPTOMS OF WHEEZING
Certain symptoms show that a person is suffering from wheezing. Some of them are—-
Shortness of Breadth -Wheezing is accompanied by breathlessness.
Cough -A persistent cough remains in your system and comes out as thick, yellow discharge during wheezing.
Chest Pain -One may also experience chest pains with wheezing.
People suffering from asthma show some symptoms of wheezing along with labored breathing. Similarly, people having chronic obstructive pulmonary disease show symptoms of wheezing, shortness of breath, and fatigue. People having respiratory infections too display similar symptoms of wheezing, coughing, and sneezing.
Don’t Miss This Post on
SOME HOME REMEDIES FOR WHEEZING
There are certain home treatments for wheezing that help to open up airways, and treats the core cause of wheezing. They are—
Steam Inhalation – If a person inhales warmer, moist air it helps to clear the sinuses. To inhale steam, pour hot water in a large bowl, and place a towel over your head to trap the steam, add a few drops of menthol or eucalyptus oil in the water and inhale steam till the water is warm. It will be really helpful to overcome wheezing.
Peppermint essential oil also has pain-reducing properties which help to relax the respiratory muscles and stop wheezing. One can also try a sauna room, steam bath, or simply a hot shower to stop wheezing.
Taking Hot Drinks–A warm drink helps to relieve congestion and adding honey to it also helps to overcome wheezing as honey is a natural anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial substance. Trying peppermints or taking menthol teas too can help in wheezing.–Breathing Exercise
Breathing Exercises – It can help in issues like COPD, bronchitis, allergies, and wheezing. Some breathing techniques influenced by yoga can help a lot in the issue of wheezing.
Humidifiers—During winters wheezing can worsen. So using a humidifier can also help to loosen congestion and stop wheezing
Air Filters–Many problems of wheezing can magnify in air pollution with different kinds of allergens.
Trigger Causes—Some diseases like asthma and allergies worsen because of some triggers like stress, allergens. So if we control these triggers in some way can help to stop wheezing
Allergy Medications–Some medications prescribed for the kind of allergy a person has along with nasal sprays can help to relieve a tight chest, congestion, inflammation.
Allergy Immunotherapy–It is a process where the immune system is taught or reprogrammed not to respond to allergens. It helps to reduce the frequency of wheezing.
Bronchodilators—There are certain drugs that help in lung relaxation, preventing the airways from narrowing. It can help in wheezing caused by COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and Asthma.
If one takes needed precautions wheezing will not be bothersome but if ignored or not taken seriously can sometimes lead to complications and serious health hazards.
If you like this post, please support in spreading the word on social media platforms. Please like our Facebook Page
I am learning how to make my blog profitable. Want to grow your blog? Do check out and join in – How to grow your Blog Challenge